Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Willpower: 1, chocolate: 0 ... for now

I made the mistake of buying a box of chocolate creams (my weakness... although if I'm going to be totally honest, almost anything with chocolate or sugar is a weakness of mine - I have a serious sweet tooth) a couple of weeks ago and I finally opened them on Monday. (No relation to Valentine's Day - it just happened to be the day that I finally gave in and opened the box.) This is probably extremely counter-productive to my goal of losing weight, but so far I have managed to limit my sweet tooth to one cream a day. I even managed to talk myself out of a second chocolate this evening after dinner when a serious craving hit. This craving was made worse by the sad realization that the dogs actually had a better dessert than I did today - they were scarfing down brownies while I was looking at a fine selection of ripe, over-ripe, and one-day-away-from-totally-rotten bananas. How depressing.

But, in case there are any canines following this blog (or people who enjoy spoiling their dogs) I'll include the recipe, and my notes, here:

Bow Wow Brownies

1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 cup whole wheat flour
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup carob chips
1/4 cup carob powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium-sized bowl, blend the oil and honey thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour onto a greased 15x10 inch baking sheet. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool, then cut into bite-sized squares and store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.

Notes: I pretty much followed this recipe exactly, except that I put the batter into a greased 6x9 pan instead of onto a sheet. It baked perfectly and I sliced it once it cooled and they turned out great - just like regular brownies. The dogs absolutely love them. (They appear to have inherited my sweet tooth...)

The recipe, by the way, is from Real Food for Dogs by Arden Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment