Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A thought or two on fire

I started a fire this evening - in the fireplace, of course. (I do not recommend starting fires anywhere else in your house. I imagine it is not conducive to keeping a roof over your head.) I was supposed to be reading the latest scintillating chapter in my Financial Accounting textbook but it was - as usual - more boring than watching paint dry. (On the plus side, I no longer have any trouble falling asleep at night - a page or two of accounting and I'm out like a light.) Sitting in front of the fireplace, not reading my accounting homework, I started to stare at the fire. And the more I watched it, the more I came to the conclusion that fire is like a house cat. Both are things you want to curl up near. Both are interesting to watch. Both are enjoyed best when they are somewhat tamed. And finally, house cats and fires are both safest when small. You wouldn't want a tiger roaming your kitchen any more than you want a raging fire burning through your bedroom.

With that said, I am off to work on my homework. I was finally able to finish my chapter of assigned accounting reading, and have moved on to the even more awful Introduction to the Practice of Sadistics. Or Statistics. Whatever. Same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment